Posted on: 18 February 2022
Electrical wiring is something most homeowners don't think about until there is a major problem. Knowing when your home needs electrical rewiring is an important step in home maintenance. It ensures that your home and family are safe from electrical risks like fire.
Residential electrical rewiring is a complex and sensitive project. There are warning signs that you can look out for to determine if it's time for electrical rewiring. Below are signs you need an electrical contractor to rewire your home.
Your Wiring System Has Not Been Updated in Decades
You should consider electrical rewiring if your home has not had its wiring system updated in decades. The older a wiring system is, the more likely it is to have outdated wiring materials and fixtures. Old wires are also more likely to have sustained damage due to wear and tear over the years.
If you live in an old home, you should contact an electrical contractor to inspect your electrical system to ensure it's safe for use.
Frequent Tripping of Circuit Breakers and Blowing Fuses
Your circuit breaker and fuses are safety devices designed to prevent an overload or short circuits by cutting off power when necessary. Electrical overload or short circuits can cause major risks like electrocution and electrical fires. When your circuit breaker trips often, it could be that there is an electrical overload or there are loose connections. You should have a professional assess the problem and provide a suitable solution.
Your Lights Flicker Often
A flickering light is a sign of an electrical problem. If the flickering is present throughout your entire home, you could be having loose wiring connections. If only one room or fixture is affected by flickering lights, it could be due to a faulty switch, bulb, or socket. If you notice that your lights flicker or get dim quite often throughout the house, you should have your wiring system diagnosed by a professional electrical contractor to determine if it needs rewiring.
Your Sockets Appear Discolored or Scorched
If your sockets and switches appear discolored or scorched, they could be burnt or melted by excess electrical heat. This can be an indication that electric current is arcing between the connections, which can cause a fire if it is not addressed. It could also be that your electrical system has loose connections. If you have several discolored or scorched sockets, contact a professional to assess the problem.
Any residential electrical wiring work requires professional expertise and knowledge of electrical systems. Always hire an electrical contractor to do your electrical rewiring. Do not attempt to rewire on your own.Share