Knowing When To Call An Electrician: Electrical Safety And Maintenance

Posted on: 20 March 2023

Electrical issues can range from minor inconveniences to serious hazards that pose a threat to your safety and property. Oftentimes, it can be challenging to determine when a professional electrician is needed or when a simple DIY fix will suffice. If you own a house, make sure you know when it's time to call a licensed electrician for help.

Persistent Circuit Breaker Tripping

Circuit breakers are designed to trip or shut off when an electrical circuit becomes overloaded, preventing wires from overheating and potentially causing a fire. Occasional tripping may not be a cause for concern, but frequent or persistent trips indicate a problem that needs the attention of an electrician. 

An overloaded circuit, faulty wiring, or an aging breaker panel could be the culprit of repeated trips in the circuit breaker. All of these issues require a professional to diagnose and repair them.

Flickering, Dimming, or Buzzing Lights

If you notice your lights flickering, dimming, or buzzing when you turn them on or while they're in use, it could be a sign of an underlying electrical issue. 

While it's possible that a simple bulb replacement may resolve the problem, it's also possible that the issue is more serious, such as a loose connection or overloaded circuit. An electrician can determine the cause and ensure the issue is safely resolved.

Unusual Odors or Warm Outlets

A burning smell or unusual odor coming from your outlets or switches could signal that the wiring behind them is overheating or damaged. Similarly, if an outlet or switch feels warm to the touch, it could be a sign of an electrical problem. 

In either case, immediately unplug any devices connected to the questionable outlet or switch, and call an electrician to inspect and repair the issue. An electrician should inspect the outlet before it's used again, in order to prevent further damage or a potential fire.

Frequent Electrical Shocks

Even a mild shock when plugging in or unplugging devices can be a warning sign of an electrical issue. While some shocks may be due to a faulty device or static electricity, others could be caused by improper grounding, a circuit problem, or faulty wiring. 

If you experience frequent shocks, have a licensed electrician determine what the root cause is.

Outdated or Insufficient Wiring

Older homes may not have the capacity to handle the increased electrical demands of modern appliances and devices. If your home's wiring hasn't been updated in decades, it may be time to call an electrician for an inspection and upgrade. 

For more info, contact a local electrician


The Electrical System is the Backbone of Your Building

The electrical system in your home or office is like the backbone of your building. It is what provides your building with the support that it needs to function, much like how your spine supports your body. Without a working electrical system, your appliances, lights, and electronics will not be able to run and function correctly. That is why it is essential to understand what to do and who to call when you experience an electrical issue or want to engage in an electrical upgrade to your property. At Royal Tech Electrical, we are here to help give you the information you need to make informed electrical systems so you can keep the backbone of your home and office working effectively.


Latest Posts